May 2 – Marty Stadler – Sawyer Exterminating
Micah called the meeting to order and Joseph Williams led our prayer and pledge.
- Welcome Jhonny Freebird and Kim Johnson from Alamance Community College’s Rotaract club. Johnny is serving as the President and Kim is Sergeant of Arms. They thanked our club for our sponsorship.
- Welcome Nathan Nesmith from White Oak Manor, a guest of Jim Cartner.
- District 7690 will be hosting an Installation of Officers and Family of Rotary event on June 24th from 6:30-9:00 at BB&T ballpark. Sign up sheets were on the table for anyone interested in attending.
- District conference was held last week and our club served the Sergeant of Arms role. Micah shared results from the Young Professionals Summit and discussed what we do with the information and where to go from here. Pierre, our exchange student, also presented at the conference.
- Rotary Board meeting next Tuesday, May 9th at 11:00.
- Today is the 2nd reading for prospective new member Rodney Councilman.
- We will “pass the bucket” over the next couple of weeks for donations in memory of Beth Powell. We will make a donation to Sister Cities.
- Congratulations to Trip Durham and 2D Consulting on celebrating their seven year anniversary.
- Deva Reece complimented Don Jennings, Jeff Bright and Randy Perkins on their wardrobe coordination :-).
- Paul Mauney celebrated a recent band performance (same group that performed for us at our Christmas celebration) at Belmont United Methodist Church that raised over $4000 to help with medical expenses for a friend.
- Micah celebrates nine years of marital bliss this week…the group questioned is that only worth $1?(funny bunch, huh?)
Member Spotlight – Stuart Sioussat
- Stuart has been a Commercial Lender with American National Bank for four years. American National is a community bank based in Danville, VA and is 105 years old. Stuart also serves as a part-time Navy Reserve.
- Something we may not know about Stuart is he once played an “extra” on the TV series Matlock.
- He considers his greatest achievement to be his family. He has one grown child, one graduating from ACC and heading to UNCG in the fall and a 7th grader at Blessed Sacrament.
Next Week’s Member Spotlight – Paul Mauney
Marty Stadler – Sawyer Exterminating
Brian Dement works for Diversified Testing Labs which has been in business for 43 years. They specialize in textile testing. Brian has been married to his wife Patricia and they have a son in the 8th grade at The Burlington School. He is our President-Elect for the upcoming Rotary year.
Marty Stadler is the Marketing/Operations Coordinator for Sawyer Exterminating. He and his wife have two sons – one attending Appalachian and one attending UNC-Wilmington. Marty was born and raised in Alamance County.
Marty shared details of the history of our crawlspaces and how changes in the building process have created long-term issues for homeowners. In the 1970’s builders began to insulate everything and central air conditioning became more prevalent. Both insulation and air conditioning impacted how humidity condensates in the crawl space.
As homeowners we should be sure to keep our wood moisture under 20% to ensure the wood doesn’t decay. Moisture over 30% can be attacked by wood destroying fungus – white rot and brown rot.
Sawyer Exterminating offers two solutions to dry out crawl spaces – “modified” crawl space and “fully sealed” crawl space. No foundation wall insulation is installed on the modified crawl space solution and fully insulated walls are installed on the sealed crawl space. The choice will depend on the goals of the homeowner.
We are looking for the Ace of Spades and there are 39 cards left in the deck. Deva Reece did not draw the winning card. The pot continues to grow…
The meeting was adjourned and we all stood to recite the Rotary Four Way Test. Until next week…