February 7 – Vision Alamance
Brian Dement called the meeting to order and Julian Griffin led our prayer and pledge.
- Welcome guest Jeff Bright retired Alamance Community College instructor.
- Reminder we will not have our regular Rotary meeting next Tuesday. Our annual Rotary Birthday Luncheon will be held on Thursday 2/16 from 11:30-1:30. All members will be billed for 2 tickets so plan to bring a guest.
- Mark your calendars for our Reverse Raffle on March 18th. Proceeds will benefit Junior Police Academy. If you are interested in a sponsorship, please contact Kathleen Patterson.
- Betty Andrews will be our member spotlight on 2/21.
Vision Alamance – Bob Byrd and Libby Hodges
Ben Wooten lives in Mebane with his wife Katy and is the Emergency Preparedness Specialist for Cone Health. Ben introduced our speakers – Libby Hodges, Alamance County Planning Director and Bob Byrd, Alamance County Commissioner. Libby and Bob shared details of Vision Alamance, Alamance County’s strategic plan.
In 2014, the Board of Commissioners identified a need for a strategic plan to guide the decisions and actions of the county. Seventeen public forums were held across the county to gather feedback from the community. In September of 2016, a single page strategic plan was adopted.
5 Action Pillars were identified to help guide decision making priorities:
- Preserving Agriculture
- World Class Education
- Smart Growth and Development
- Public Health and Safety
- Government Accountability and Resource Management
A set of Core Values were also identified for all Alamance County employees:
- Golden Rule
For more information go to the Alamance County website: http://www.alamance-nc.com/strategicplan/
Julian Griffin did not draw the winning Ace of Spades card. The pot continues to grow!
The meeting was adjourned and we all stood to recite the Rotary Four Way Test. Until next week…