January 17th – Burlington-Alamance Sister Cities
Micah called the meeting to order and Cliff Parker led our prayer and pledge.
- Welcome Derrick Smith, visiting Rotarian from the Burlington club.
- Ben Wooten was featured in the January 11th edition of the Times-News. He led a tour of ARMC for a group of local firefighters.
- Our Foundation birthday celebration will be held on THURSDAY 2/16 from 11:30-1:30. The luncheon will replace our normal meeting for that week. Each member will be charged $50 and will receive two tickets to the luncheon.
- You can now register to attend District Conference. This year’s conference will be held April 27-30 in Myrtle Beach, SC. You can go to www.rotary7690.org for more information.
- Carolyn Rhode thanked the Times-News for hosting a tour for a group of 20 girls scouts on MLK Day.
- Joseph Williams thanked everyone for their prayers over the last few weeks.
Burlington-Alamance Sister Cities
Ed Woodall, past Rotary President, welcomed Ann Honeycutt from Burlington-Alamance Sister Cities. Sister Cities helps connect different cultures with Burlington and started the exchange with South Korea in 2012 with the help and leadership of Master Lee. This week a group of 16 students from Gwacheon, South Korea are visiting. This is the 6th group of students to visit Burlington from South Korea. They are attending classes at The Burlington School.
We enjoyed presentations from the students during our meeting. They represented three high schools: Gwacheon High School, Gwacheon Middle High School and Gwacheon Womens High School. The students shared information regarding school uniforms, program offerings, sports program and school clubs for each of their high schools.
Students in Gwacheon start learning English no later than 1st grade.
While visiting Burlington, the students have enjoyed sledding in our recent snow, cooking with their host families and being able to see the stars (which aren’t visible in South Korea).
The meeting was adjourned and we all stood to recite the Rotary Four Way Test. Until next week….